Monday, March 8, 2021

Sand & Sea Thank You Card

Hello, and thank you for visiting my blog! It is time for Kylie Bertucci's March Monthly International Blog Highlights contest, and I would like to ask for your vote, please! If you like my card, please click on the button below to go to Kylie's blog, and vote for me by clicking on the top right corner of the thumbnail of my card (#7), until you see the heart turn red

This month I am featuring one of my favourite suites--the Sand & Sea Suite. To make this card, I used Sand & Sea Designer Series Paper--DSP (for the sand), the Friends are Like Seashells Bundle (stamps and dies), our gorgeous Pearlescent Specialty Paper, the Seashells 3D Embossing Folder, and Opal Rounds embellishments. This is similar to a card I did for my last blog entry, but I wanted to do a watercolour wash background this time (which I haven't done for a while), so I started with a 5" x 3-3/4" piece of Shimmery White cardstock. I sprayed water on both sides, getting the front quite wet, and then picked up drops of ink refills (Balmy Blue, Bermuda Bay, and Pacific Point) with a Water Painter and touched it to the water and let it blend. 


After it dried, I put a few drops of Frost White Shimmer Paint onto an acrylic block, scrunched up some Saran Wrap, dipped it into the paint, and pressed it gently onto the watercoloured background, to represent waves in the water. 


I cut a 5" x 2" piece of the sand DSP, diecut it with one of our Curvy Dies (you could also use scissors), and attached it to the dry watercolour background with Seal. This was layered on a 5-1/8" x 3-7/8" Pacific Point cardstock, and then adhered to a 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" Bermuda Bay card base, scored at 4-1/4". 

I cut a 5-1/4" x 4" piece of Pearlescent Paper with the large Seaside Seashells Die, and then embossed it with with our Seashells 3D Embossing Folder. I cut three or four of the shells to separate them, keeping some seaweed attached to the largest shell. I used the remaining shells on another card. 


The shells were coloured using a Sponge Dauber and Classic Ink Pads--Seaside Spray, Blushing Bride, and Smoky Slate/Blushing Bride. I masked the shell with paper if I didn't want ink on parts of it (or the seaweed). I also sponged some Mint Macaron ink onto pieces of seaweed. This is a really quick and easy way to colour the shells, and the Pearlescent Paper makes them look so pretty! 


Next, I cut a 7" piece of our 3/16" Braided Linen Trim, and pulled it apart a bit to give it a rustic look. I used glue dots to attach it to the card base, and put a loop in one part (using a glue dot at the twisted part). I really liked the look of the frayed edges! I adhered the seaweed with glue dots and the two largest shells with Seal to the "sand", adhered the last shell with Dimensionals, and for a bit of bling, added three Opal Rounds. What do you think?


For the two cards below, rather than using the Saran Wrap waves, I just painted with Shimmer Paint with a Water Painter (but I wasn't really fussy about how it turned out--I'm not artistic enough for this, apparently). I also added four shells, instead of three.




If you like my card, please vote for me by clicking on the following link--then click the top right corner of the thumbnail of my card (#7) until the heart turns red:

Please click here to vote for my card.

Thank you very much for visiting my blog, and for your support!! 😊

❤️ Kim

Product List

17 comments:

  1. Stunning sea and sand card Kim! Thanks for being part of my International Blog Highlights this month and all the best with voting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, thank you so much!! I love participating in your blog!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a beautiful card, I like it very much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Pretty and your description gives me enough information that I can case this easily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CASE away, Renate! I'm glad you like my card!

      Delete
  4. Love your card and the background technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Stunning card!
    Good luck with the voting, Simone from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an effective technique Kim. I love watercoloured background and you've taken it to the next level with the shimmer paint - so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much for the kind compliments, Lesley!! I love watercolour backgrounds, too!

      Delete
  7. I know it's a couple years too late, but I definitely would have voted for your card! It's GORGEOUS!!!! I plan to case your card for a thank you card I need to make. Your background painting really bumped your amazing card up several notches above other cards done with this set! Good work & thanks for sharing your creation! Karen in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, Karen!! It’s really sweet of you to stop by and write such a lovely compliment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked, Karen, and my card came in second that month!

      Delete

Country Flowers Online MEGA Stamp Camp

  Country Flowers Online MEGA Stamp Camp Register Now!   Are you ready for another MEGA weekend stamp camp online with 10 AWESOME projects? ...