Monday, September 28, 2020

Kylie's Winners Hop - Watercolour/Snow Thank You Card

Wow, thank you so much to all of you who voted for my card, and helped me to win first place!!! Woohoo! I am so excited to be in the Top Ten again, with such artistic people. If you didn't see my card, there is a photo of it at the bottom of this blog post. 

This time around, I am able to participate in the Top Ten Winners Hop! I have been on a watercolour kick lately, so I am using one of the techniques I learned for the background of this card.  

For my winning card (see the bullrushes silhouette card below), I used an acrylic block watercolour smoosh technique. This time, I spritzed Shimmery White cardstock until it was fairly wet. Here's a handy tip: spritz the back of the cardstock too, and it will lessen the curling of the paper. Once the paper was wet, I added ink refill drops to the Shimmery White paper with a Water Painter, and just let the colours blend. I started with the lightest colour, and then added the darker ones. I used Balmy Blue, Bermuda Bay, Pacific Point, and Highland Heather. Set this layer aside to dry--it's important to let the paper dry thoroughly before doing the next step. You can use a heat tool to speed up the process, if you like (or if you're impatient, like me).

I stamped the sentiment (from Snowflake Wishes) onto the dry background with Memento ink. The watercolour background was glued to a piece of Highland Heather cardstock with Stampin' Seal+ (which works really well to make the layer hold smoothly and completely--sometimes there can be issues with paper that was wet). I then adhered the card front to a Pacific Point card base with Dimensionals. 

The beautiful silver foil stitched frame was cut with Rectangle Stitched Dies, using the two largest rectangles, nested on my brand-new Stampin' Cut & Emboss machine (LOVE it!!) and cut in one step. I used two more favourite dies to cut some silver foil pieces to complete the card--Christmas Layers Dies for the snowflakes, and Stitched Stars Dies for the flourishes. Before I cut the silver pieces, I added an adhesive sheet to the back of the foil. This is a huge timesaver! Not only is it super-easy to glue the finely-detailed diecuts to the background, but when you lift the foil from the backing paper, the "bits" separate easily from the snowflakes and flourishes!! Easy-peasy!!!


I made one more version that's very similar. The matting is slightly different (I used the leftover silver foil from the inside of the first card's stitched rectangle, and cut again using the next smaller die), and I added white snowflakes this time, instead of silver. Which version of the card do you prefer?

This card is not only a great Thank You card ("Thank You Snow Much"--heehee! 😊), it would make a lovely Christmas card, as well!! Just choose another sentiment from the stamp set, such as "Snowflake Wishes for a Merry Christmas" or "May Your Season Sparkle".

Here is the card that allowed me to participate in today's International Highlights Top Ten Winners Blog Hop. Thank you again for voting! I really appreciate your support!!

Please be sure to check out the links below, to see the other cards made by the Top Ten Winners. They are all very talented! I am so honoured to be grouped among them!! Please leave a comment below, before you look at the other gorgeous cards.

Thanks for stopping by!!!

❤️ Kim


Product List

16 comments:

  1. Pretty Card. Love all the shiny elements :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! You can never have too much sparkle, right?

      Delete
  2. Love the snowflakes Kim! Congrats on making it to the top ten blog hop this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Kylie! I am really happy to be able to participate in your blog hops! Everyone's cards are so beautiful! Thanks for the opportunity!!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Love the background! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa! It's sooo quick to do the background! I love this technique!

      Delete
  4. Love using water color techniques and you did a beautiful job with this technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Robbie!! I love watercolour techniques, too!!

      Delete
  5. The water colour background is so effective. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you did the background. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy! It's a really quick and easy technique!!

      Delete

Waves of Inspiration/Oceanfront Fun-Fold Thank You Card

I like this type of fun-fold card--it's unique! Hello, and welcome to my blog! Thanks for stopping by! First of all , this card is not a...